Thursday, November 10, 2011

Finding Design Inspiration



Very early in my career as a cake designer I had my first moment of pure inspiration.  My friend, Danielle's, couch.  I sat on the couch holding her newborn son and thought, "Gee, this print would be beautiful as a cake."

This moment of inspiration occurred during the period of time that cakes seemed to all have a diamond pattern studded with pearls and a spray of gum paste roses.    And here I was thinking about making a gold colored cake with large burgundy begonias.   This was pretty out-of-the-box thinking for me.  But I was brave enough to make the cake and to this day it is one of my very favorites.  I think because I can remember everything about that moment of inspiration including all of the feelings that went along with it.

Today I see design inspiration for cakes in just about anything ... pillows in a catalog, an art piece in the window, the dress on one of my daughter's classmates,  a piece of jewelry, a storybook.  I love to take pictures of all the things that catch my eye and save them away for just the right cake.

I can't wait to share some more of my favorite cakes and their beautiful inspirations with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment