Monday, November 14, 2011

Learn How To ... Build a 3D Cake Structure


A few months ago I decided I needed to learn more about building structures for crazy sculpted cakes.  I have usually been able to figure things out on my own ... maybe thanks to my engineering degree ... but I have to admit that I have been sort of afraid to try anything too crazy without some more guidance.  

Well... ask and you shall receive!  Not a day after I put my request out to the universe, I got an email from a local cake decorating group I am part of that they would be offering a series of classes that included one on building 3D cake structures.  How perfect!  Then I found out that one of the classes was being taught by Mike McCarey of Mike's Amazing Cakes and I couldn't type my registration information in fast enough.

And the class this weekend did not fail to meet my expectations.   Mike taught us how to build three types of cake structures and gave enough useful tips, tricks and material recommendations to fill pages of notes.   I couldn't wait to stroll down the aisles of Lowe's to get my very own Roto Zip and a can of Super 77.   (And of course I was at Lowe's at 8:30 this morning digging through the plumbing aisle for just the right size copper tubing for my upcoming sock puppet cake.)

And after a morning packed with information, I got to spend the afternoon making this fabulous waffle cake with Lauren Kitchens of Fancy Cakes by Lauren.  It was a great lesson in some creative uses for modeling chocolate and I walked away finding out about the BEST cake decorating tool even.  (Which I picked up at AC Moore this morning at 8:47!)

Oh and did I mention that the classes were held in Buddy Valastro's amazing new cake factory.  

Such an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment