Monday, December 19, 2011

Learn How To ... Make a Gingerbread Salon for a Famous Hair Stylist


A few weeks ago, I received a call from a lovely woman who wanted to know if I could make a gingerbread replica of her friend's Madison Avenue hair salon.   Sure, I told her, it sounded like fun!  We spent an hour on the phone and I had her tell me about everything in the salon that stuck out in her mind.  I had a great time learning about the beauty of the space but also about the people who work there.  I had some ideas about the feel that I wanted to achieve ... energetic, modern, classy.

Then I went online to see what the space really looked like.  Here are a few of the pictures I worked from,


I worked out the structure in my mind.  We would enter into the reception desk area then following a curving line into a space that holds a refreshment table then past the door to the manager's office and finally into the space where Mr. Oscar Blandi works facing out the windows onto Madison Avenue.  

I measured, baked and built the structure.  I also created a curving wall out of gumpaste to be sure I got the flowing feel of the space.  

Then, I added the black bamboo floor out of fondant and painted it with food coloring to give it shine and covered the interior walls in pale gold fondant.

Next, I went to work on the details.  I replicated the reception desk in gumpaste and drew in the product bottles on the shelves using my newly discovered Foodoodler markers.  I added a chocolate wreath by making a ring of green modeling chocolate and snipping it with scissors and I added a plant in a silver pot.




 Next, I created the refreshment table with a gumpaste bowl full of lemons and a silver gumpaste coffee urn with china teacup.  And I added a holiday swag over the mirror,  




Lastly, I added Mr. Oscar Blandi's workstation positioned to look out the giant windows and a chocolate Christmas tree to complete the scene.


Both my client and Mr. Blandi were thrilled with the gift.  And I just loved getting to be a part of it!  



No comments:

Post a Comment