Monday, December 26, 2011

Learn How To ... Use A Trend


Well, Christmas is over and New Year's is only moments away so I figured it was time to start poking my nose around in what "they" say will be popular for 2012.  I gathered a list of the trends that are expected to be popular and thought a little about how they inspire me to do something special and unique.

Here are a few of the trends I hope to be able to introduce to clients this year.....

Cake Buffets
Sometimes you just can't decide.  White cake or the yellow beet spice cake?  Cake or cupcakes?  Contemporary design or classic?  Well, now you don't have to.  You can choose a buffet instead of the traditional tiered cake.  I love the option of having 5 or 6 similarly decorated cakes in a variety of flavors so that you can please all of your guests.  But I also love replacing some of the cake stands with coordinating cupcakes and macaroon towers!

Nature
Since I have two little girls most of my interaction with nature includes fairies.  We hunt for fairies and build fairy houses and pick up lots of little things for the fairies to use.  So when I think of nature these days I picture tiny blossoms and twisting twigs and giant leaves and little hidden treasures.  I imagine designing a cake that any fairy would be thrilled to live on... maybe even a sculpted tree cake with gnarly roots and shiny leaves and sparkling little flowers!

Hand Painting
I am in LOVE with the trend of hand painting cakes.  It has really tickled my artistic side and given me a reason to pick up my old watercolor set.  I love sketching a floral design or art deco pattern and painting it while I think about translating the design into an edible work of art.

Fruit Flavors
I am constantly trying to get my clients to try something new and unique when it comes to cake flavor because I believe that cake is not meant to appease the masses but to delight and please them.  Apple cake with cinnamon buttercream, lemon cake with lavender icing, ginger pear cupcakes are just a few of my favorite fruit flavors.  My next fruit flavor to work with .... persimmon!

Jewels
A cake covered in diamonds.  Every girl's dream, I think.  But sapphires, emeralds and garnets are great too. And with isomalt and a sugar mold, you can have your cake completely encrusted in jewels with year.

Royal Themed
After William and Kate were wed, all thing royal made themselves into the wedding wishlist, cakes included.  Lots of royal icing piping is what makes a plain white cake into a royal masterpiece.  I have taken our my course books from Toba Garret to start perfecting my delicate piping technique before wedding season.

Hope these trends inspired you ...  I can't wait to show you how I have been inspired though out this year.








No comments:

Post a Comment