Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Find Joy In ... The McGyver of Cake



When I started to plan out my first standing figure cake, I needed some help.  I had taken this great class in cake structures from Mike McCarey where we learned to make a shoe and a sitting animal and a standing animal but no person.  I searched all of my usual cake haunts but there were no instructions on making a person.  I looked through all of my cake decorating books but there was still nothing on making a person.

After much Googling, I found "Do It Myself (mostly edible art)".  The best blog EVER for cake decorators!  I know nothing about the blog author except THAT I LOVE THEM and I am in utter AWE over their creativity.

The first post I came across was for a Sneetch cake.  It is a sort of birdlike character but in it's most basic form, it is a standing figure.  Just the figure I needed.  I was able to follow this cake McGyver's instructions and make my own structure.  A structure that stood strong and gave me such peace of mind.

But what is most amazing is that, to this McGyver of cake,  the standing figure structure seemed like nothing.  Because other posts featured a ferris wheel and a Calder mobile and a crazy cake that served itself with a sandbox digger!

I love you.. crazy cake McGyver!  You have inspired me to build anything!  You have given me a great new reference.  And I can't wait to see what you create next!

No comments:

Post a Comment