This was the first time I have sculpted a cake of a person and I was surprised how little information there was out there on how to do it. I have taken a number of classes on sculpting cakes and building cake structures .. just none for people. So I did the best I could and now I will share that with you.
The first thing I did was to create templates for the side and front views of a person. I found some pictures on the internet and increased the size until I had a figure large enough to create the number of servings I needed.
Then I had my husband build the structure. We used wooden dowels and sanded pine. Next time I would really use pipe and flange ... I just thought that was overkill but the stability would have made me feel better. Especially if I made this cake any bigger.
To come up with the measurements I used a copy of my template and places plates at least every 6 inches and then added dowels to support the plates within the framework of my cake. I made sure to have a center dowel to keep the whole thing straight. This dowel went through 3 pieces of wood glue together so there was minimal movement.
I covered the 3 wood plates at the bottom with cereal treats to form the boots. Then I covered the treats in royal icing to make them smooth.
Next came the cake. I added layers of cake and icing, making sure to have more than I needed so I could sculpt away.
While the cake was in the freezer, I sculpted the head from modeling chocolate. Then I went back and made her head from a cereal treat covered in modeling chocolate for the weight and stability.
Once the cake was fozen, I sculpted. I used my templates to help me get the general shape and then I just made adjustments using my own image of the human body. This photo was after my first pass. I took her back out and sculpted some more because I thought her hips looked uneven and too large. When she was done I iced her. When I do this type of cake again, I will be sure to sculpt her to be much thinner than I want her because the buttercream and fondant built her up way more than I expected (I knew it would happen but was expecting it to be less noticeable) and made her a bit chubby.
Next I made the boots out of gumpaste. I later dusted them with cocoa powder to make them look worn. (These are my favorite part of the cake!!!)
I dressed her with fondant and then created the camo using a combination of airbrushing and sponging. (I can't say I am 100% happy.) Then I added her head and facial details and her hair.
I was pretty happy .. and I hope Gia was too!