Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fall In Love With .. Coconut


My latest obsession is, hands-down, coconut.

I came across it in a book of herbal remedies recently and was fascinated by the benefits of coconut.  It seems to be an anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflamatory, as well as having positive impacts on metabolism, blood pressure an blood sugar.

At the same time I noticed that the shelves at Whole Foods were packed with varieties of coconut water.  I wasn't sure if I had  just noticed the trend or if the universe was sending me a sign that it was time for me to check it out.  But I bought some.  And some coconut oil.  And some coconut milk.  And I started cooking with them.

Then I figured, why not try baking with the stuff?  So I made my usual recipe for vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream but instead of milk I used coconut milk and instead of water I used coconut water and I threw in a handful if unsweetened coconut flakes and then topped the whole think with a bit of shredded coconut.

Not sure if I got enough coconut in me to excite my metabolism but I sure did excite my taste buds!


No comments:

Post a Comment